Ruth's Knits

9/14/2005

FO: IK's Lacy Kerchief Scarf

I actually finished this a couple weeks back, but was too lazy to weave in the ends until this week (yes, I have completion issues but I'll save that for another post another day). =) I tried to display the scarf like the one in the magazine, but couldn't do it. This was the best shots I could get (click on any picture for detailed close-up):





A close-up of the lacy edging:



Pattern: "Lacy Kerchief Scarf" from Interweave Knits, Summer 2005, pp.53-55.
Yarn: Knit Picks Andean Silk in Bluebell, 6 skeins.
Needle: US #6 straights or circs (do not join)
Gauge: 20 sts/28 rows per 4 inches (in garter st)

Additional Notes:

Pattern
Overall the pattern was pretty smooth and easy to knit from. The only problem I had was a mix up with the chart (the bind off symbol was in an "open" square which confused me at first) and I fumbled in trying to understand the directions at the yarnover increases (the directions weren't as clear as I would have like them to be). Gail and Joy helped clear up some of these confusions (thank you ladies!) and everything else went smoothly after that. Overall, I enjoyed the pattern and knitting it up!

Yarn
This was my first Knitpicks yarn. I really like Andean Silk! It's 55% Superfine Alpaca, 23% Silk, and 22% Merino Wool. The alpaca and silk make it soft and smooth, and the wool creates a wonderful warmth to it. Loved it.

New Skills
With this pattern, I did my first provisional/invisible (looped) cast-on. I had to do it 5-6 times to get it right and feel comfortable with it. I also did russian joins for the first time (yay!) and got pretty good at it. So far so good!

Posted at 4:30 PM :: 12 Stitches

Stitch it to me!

---------------oOo---------------