Ruth's Knits

9/27/2005

Tagged!

Tagged by Cyndi! (At this moment I'm blogging from San Jose - we flew in from our Asia travels this morning, and we'll be flying back out to Maui tommorrow morning - crazy, I know. For some ridiculous reason, it's cheaper to fly back to SFO and out again, rather than going straight to Hawaii from Singapore. Whatever.) Anyways, here goes.

TEN YEARS AGO:
I graduated from high school, and was in the process of attending UC Davis as an undergrad. This was my first time out of my parents house. I was pretty naive and nervous, but very excited. At the time I had big plans on being an RN, and travelling the world being a missionary/Mother Teresa type, sharing my medical skills and God's love to the less fortunate all over the world. Yes, I was a big dreamer. Little did I know that in the near future I would fail upper division physio and drop this dream altogether (at least the medical aspect of it).

FIVE YEARS AGO:
I was out college for a year, doing finance at a start-up in Silicon Valley. Was living with friends in Fremont. By then I had already met my boyfriend (who would later become my husband), and we were struggling with a long-distance relationship (he was in med school at Davis). Because of some of my convictions at the time, I chose to quit my job (deliberately opting out of stock options) and go to China for the first time to teach English, experience missions, live like a local, and explore the world and who I was. I also was freshly out of moving out of my parents' house (a huge traumatic experience, I'll save that story for another day) and starting to question all the things I had known growing up. I believe 2000 was a huge year for me - I was being prepared for some huge paradigm shifts that would later shake up my world view in the next few years.

ONE YEAR AGO: Hubby was starting is last and final year as a resident doctor. Boy was I happy! He can finally have (somewhat) regular hours and we'd have more time together. At this point, I had already given up looking for a job, and decided temporarily to be a housewife, to be flexible with his residency work schedule and be a full-time support for him. We celebrated our 2nd year anniversary, and soon after, headed off to Nepal with our pastor and two other friends on a very brief medical mission trip. Our time in Nepal opened my eyes to so much, and we were able to visit the some of the poorest villages. Hubby made some house visits to leprosy patients. It broke my heart just seeing and meeting all the people there. We hope to return there one day.

FIVE SNACKS:
- Chips
- Dark Chocolate (cravings only happen once a month)
- Cheese-its
- Cheese puffs
- Ramen!!! (particular the korean kinds, with the really spicy flavoring packets)

FIVE SONGS I KNOW ALL THE WORDS TO:
There's a handful I know - alot of them from the 80's. I was a big Madonna and Prince fan. =P

FIVE THINGS I WOULD DO WITH $100 MILLION:
- Give it away to various charities and organizations
- Invest it and grow it in order to give it away to various charities and organizations
- Invest it for our own personal uses (college fund for future children?)
- Divide it up among family members
- Travel!! (and buy lots of yarn, of course)

FIVE PLACES TO RUN AWAY TO:
Depends on what I'm running away FROM. ;)

FIVE THINGS I WOULD NEVER WEAR:
- polka dots
- anything that is florescent
- fur
- shoulder pads
- any heels more than 2 3/4 inch high

FIVE FAVORITE TV SHOWS:
- Scrubs
- Project Runway
- Anything on the Food Network (especially Everyday Italian)
- Everybody Loves Raymond
- Gilmore Girls

FIVE BIGGEST JOYS:
- my husband and family members
- my close friendships/relationships
- serving God
- having a purpose and being fulfilled by it
- serving others

FIVE FAVORITE TOYS:
- my knitting needles, of course!
- my KitchenAid electric mixer
- my KitchenAid food processor
- my computer
- Clancy (our loveable and huggable stuffed bear from Pottery Barn Kids)

Posted at 6:22 PM :: 7 Stitches

Stitch it to me!

---------------oOo---------------