Ruth's Knits

6/26/2006

Summer Handbags, Part 1

Not only is this post an FO post, there are TWO FO's in here!
(Notice that its just "Part 1", which means a "Part 2" will come soon.) =)

================================================
Handbag #1

My "Heather" handbag:


Inside, where I added a lining (I sewed the lining with a lightweight interfacing) plus a magnet snap button:


Close-up of the beads and cables:


Close-up of the scalloped edging:


Pattern: "Heather"; 25 Bags To Knit by Emma King, pg. 98
Yarn: Rowan Calmer in Chiffon (light lavendar) #462, 1 skein; Rowan Lurex Shimmer in Gleam #336, 1 skein.
Needle: Size 7 straights
Hook: One the larger steel hooks I had (sorry I forgot which size)
Other notions: 84 pale pink beads

Pattern Notes:

Pattern
You know, I purchased this book around the time I was just starting to knit. This was the handbag I first fell in love with, but was dismayed at the fact that it was too advanced for me (I didn't know how to do cables, beading, crochet). Over a year later, now I can say that it was SUCH a simple knit! The only thing I changed was the crochet scallop at the top edging - the pattern calls for a single crochet, but I didn't like how that looked. I did a double crochet instead (it gave it a more finished look).

Yarn
I see how Calmer is so popular. It's soft, elastic, and is wonderful to knit with. I'm not quite sure how it works for a bag though - as it is pretty elastic and stretchy. The color that this pattern calls for (the Chiffon) is discontinued, but I was able to land the 2 skeins required for it. But I didn't need 2 skeins that the pattern said I needed - I only used 1 skein. Which means, I have one more skein leftover. (P.S. Anyone want it?? It's a really pretty light lavendar. I also have tons of the Lurex Shimmer.. for anyone who wants to make this bag, just msg me!)

Sewing
I'll talk more about my sewing in the next FO below, but this was the first time I felt confident with my lining. I used Pellon Fusible 911 (for lightweight fabrics) interfacing with my lining, and it worked perfect - the interfacing gave the bag more of a sturdy shape, especially given the yarn's soft and stretchy characteristics.

================================================
Handbag #2

My FIRST sewing accomplishment, ever!!
Here's my Amy Butler "In Town" Smart Handbag:



Inside lining (with 4 pockets):


Outside button:


Inside button:


Pattern
Despite my sewing frustrations, I was able to take a breather and finish this up. I was quite impressed with the end result!! And it feels sturdy and strong - I was pretty satisfied with the whole project. Amy Butler patterns are terrific for beginners, as she explains things and provides diagrams that are easy to read/understand.

Fabric
I just got whatever cute lightweight cotton fabric I found in my local Joann's. I heard from other reviews on this pattern that the bag might end up a bit on the floppy/flimsy side, so I added Pellon Fusible 911 interfacing on all my fabric. It worked really well. I omitted the interfacing on my handles though, because it made it too hard to stitch straight lines on something so narrow and thick.

Posted at 11:15 AM :: 20 Stitches

Stitch it to me!

---------------oOo---------------